The Lowville Free Library opened in 1903 in a small room on the first floor of the The Town Hall Theater Building. There were less than 100 books shelved in five or six book cases.
The library had $200 or $300 given by- more or less reluctant residents- who had never had a public library and saw little need for one.
The first librarian, Miss Anna E. Crawford, donated her time for the first year, after which she was paid $.10 per hour. The library was heated by a stove- first wood, later coal. Miss Crawford kept her feet warm in the winter by keeping them on a soap stone whenever possible.
After five or six years, there were enough books so that the library relocated across the street in rooms on the second floor of the Merrell block.
In 1927, the present library building on Dayan Street was completed at a cost of $43,000. The site was given by Mrs. C. J. Reeder and Mrs. Harry Gould in memory of their father, R. J. Richardson, and a building fund was accumulated largely through the efforts of the Daughters of the American Revolution and a local citizen's committee.
Lowville Free Library Librarians:
1903-1917 Anna Crawford
( Closed for awhile, Assistant Miss Blouseur tried to run it but was unsuccessful )
19-20-1952 Alice Allen
1952-1966 Charlotte Miller
1966-1974 Mary Ramage
1974-1977 Mary Richie (Shaw)
1977-1980 Genevieve McGuire
1980-1982 Beatrice Waldron
1982-2014 Sally Ingersoll Brown
2014-2016 Dawn Myers
2016-Present Meghan Harney